World Sepsis Day 2017 - Your Event
World Sepsis Day is exactly two months away - in case you have not planned an event yet, please find some inspiration for activities for World Sepsis Day on September 13 below.
Events for Medical Professionals
- In hospitals, set up staff sepsis awareness stalls with a sepsis quiz and sepsis exhibitions in the lobby
- Offer special educational sepsis trainings for staff around the World Sepsis Day
- Public Viewing of the WSC Spotlight: Maternal and Neonatal Sepsis on September 12, 2017 as an educational program for physicians, nurses, and health care workers
- Organize conferences, symposia, round table discussions, etc.
- Hand out information leaflets in busy public spaces like markets, railway or bus stations, and town squares
- Set up small sepsis information stalls, use banners or balloons
- Sport events are a great opportunity for people to watch or take part. Organize a sport event like a city marathon, a bicycle tour, a sepsis team run, a zumba event, or countless other sport activities. Hand out information leaflets along the way. Plan a route where lots of people will see you.
- Organize a family afternoon, together with sepsis survivors, if possible. Set up stalls and decorate the area to attract people. Think about having some music or performers and something fun for the kids like face-painting or sepsis-related handicraft work.
- Organize a sepsis photo exhibition with collecting photographs of activities in the fight against sepsis, academic, cultural or governmental events or sepsis patient stories. You can also participate in the existing photo exhibition from our friend and supporter Luis Gorordo Delsol from the Juarez Hospital in Mexico.
- Set up a pink picnic. Pink Picnics are social events where pink is used to signify relation to World Sepsis Day. This can include pink salads or cupcakes, BBQ treats, beverages, plates, other table decor...and whatever you can think of! Use pink balloons for decoration.
- Organize a Gala Event or a special dinner - This is a great opportunity to raise awareness for sepsis in your network. For example, check out the Sepsis Heroes Gala Event by the Sepsis Alliance.
In Your Company/Organization
- Pink Cafeteria/Canteen – color your cafeteria/canteen pink, by using leaflets, stickers, pocket cards, balloons, and whatever else you can think of.
- Bake for your colleagues – Why not raise awareness for sepsis among your colleagues by making muffins with pink frosting, or a pink cake? They will certainly talk about you and World Sepsis Day…Make sure to also share leaflets, infographics, stickers, and other goodies with them as well.
Show Your Support on Your Website, Social Media Presence, or Email signature:
- Tweet about or at World Sepsis Day, using the hashtag #wsd17, #stopsepsis, #savelives
- Share a WSD infographic on your Facebook page, or put up a post mentioning @WorldSepsisDay
- Temporarily add a pink banner or a button to your website, or set up a microsite informing your visitors about WSD
- Temporarily add ‘September 13 is World Sepsis Day – Stop Sepsis, Save Lives’ to your email signature
- Organize a Twitter chat, a webinar, a Reddit AMA, a Facebook Live, or a Periscope
Promotional Material for World Sepsis DaY 2017
Please go to the toolkit section on the WSD website and download the communication materials for WSD 2017, it includes material for public events, Pink Picnics, Photo Campaigns, etc.
Please visit our shop for ordering WSD articles for your special World Sepsis Day event.
Use your network and the network of your colleagues, friends, members or supporters, to see if there is the possibility to have your event covered. In any case, inform your local media about your event as early as possible, as this increases the chances dramatically.
World Sepsis Day Event Poster
Like in the past five years, the World Sepsis Day Head Office will collect pictures from your events and create the World Sepsis Day Event Poster 2017, so please make sure to take great and high-resolution pictures of your activities.
Why Is World Sepsis Day Important?
World Sepsis Day is held on September 13th every year and is an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against sepsis. Sepsis accounts for at least 8 million deaths worldwide annually. Yet, depending on country and education, sepsis is known only to 7 – 50 % of the people. Likewise, it is poorly known that sepsis can be prevented by vaccination and clean care and that early recognition and treatment reduces sepsis mortality by 50 %. This lack of knowledge makes sepsis the number one preventable cause of death worldwide.
Why Should You Participate in World Sepsis Day?
World Sepsis Day is a favorable moment to increase public awareness for this poorly acknowledged health care disaster, but also to show support and solidarity with the millions of people who lost their loved ones, or, as sepsis survivors, suffer from long-term consequences of sepsis. World Sepsis Day is a great opportunity to remind the public, media, national, and international health care authorities, health care providers, and health care workers, policy makers, and the governments that there is an urgent need to increase and improve education on the facility, regional, national, and international level. The easiest way to support World Sepsis Day: Share the link for signing the World Sepsis Declaration with your colleagues, families, friends, and everyone that should be informed about sepsis.
We wish you good luck in preparing your World Sepsis Day event and thank you for your valuable contribution in the fight against sepsis!